DUST Identity provides security, integrity, and traceability to the world’s supply chains. DUST, or Diamond Unclonable Security Tag, uses diamond particles as unique and unclonable markers on individual items. Think of a barcode, but invisible, unfalsifiable, and made with diamonds! With DUST, customers can ensure that every physical object — whether an airplane part, microprocessor, or priceless work of art — is verified, authenticated, and ultimately, trusted.
DUST Identity is a fast-growing venture-backed startup at the intersection of innovations in materials, hardware, and software. DUST Identity is looking for new team members who are eager to take on the challenge of building the industry standard for physical object identification and security.
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the Hardware & Materials team working out of our Newton, MA headquarters office. You will act as the lead mechanical engineer for the team, providing subject matter experience, guidance to the team, and help accelerate our DUST products to improve the customer experience of our platform. You will partner closely with Product, Engineering, Sales, and Go-to-market teams to understand customer requirements and pain points, help deliver new products, and improve upon existing ones that contribute to our product roadmap. You will own and be responsible for multiple hardware and materials projects and own the outcome of new product developments and processes that will help improve the DUST Platform experience for our customers. The Hardware & Materials team works to develop scanning and diamond tagging technology that is at the heart of our innovative solution and directly affects the success of the company and our impact in the world.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the development of new products focused on improving the quality, integrity, and usability of DUST tagging and scanning solutions
- Be a key contributor to the product design process, including designing systems and subsystems to support manufacturing readiness
- Design mechanical systems or processes that will help support integration in to customer or partner manufacturing systems or processes
- Responsible for applying sound mechanical engineering and design principles in the development of new tagging and scanning products. Own the bill of materials and component specifications for all designs and product versions
- Conduct team design reviews, document milestones, and contribute to all aspects of the product development life cycle including writing specifications, scoping, estimating cost and duration of projects, concepting, analysis, detail design, building, testing, and releasing.
- Support identification and selection of appropriate suppliers for all design elements
- Support existing DUST products, iterating designs and releasing new product versions based on customer and industry feedback. Maintain manufacturing documentation
- Provide direction as a mechanical technical lead to a team of cross functional engineers. Serve as a mentor and coach for developing engineers
- Develop areas of subject matter expertise and serve as a technical authority for all DUST hardware and materials products
What You’ll Bring
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field is required. Master Degree preferred
- 5+ years of relevant industrial experience in Research & Development, Product Development, or a technical role; Previous experience in a startup environment is highly desirable
- Advanced knowledge of CAD, PLM, and PDM tooling (SoildWorks preferred)
- Experience using prototyping tools (3D printers, laser cutters, basic machine shop tools)
- Exposure to a Product Development Process. Must have previous experience delivering at least one product to launch
- Familiarity with various industry standards: i.e. ANSI, ASME, ASTM, API, MIL, SAE, and similar. Knowledge of mil-standard environmental testing a plus
- Ability to thrive in a fast-pace environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working with a team of cross disciplinary engineers on product development and process improvement
- Logical problem solving skills,organizational skills, and dedication to quality and integrity. Proven ability to quickly assess complex issues and identify root causes/key success factors
- Excellent communication; ability to convey technical concepts to non technical audiences
What You Should Know
- Start Date: Immediately
- Must have legal right to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Location: Newton, MA
- Compensation: Market Competitive + Equity
- Travel: <5%
- DUST Identity is an equal opportunity employer.
What We Offer
- Award-winning startup with a product that matters
- An abundance of snacks/coffee
- Medical, dental, vision, LTD, and life insurance
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Casual dress